While my husband was a great sport and agreed to dress up as… BIG BIRD! … he really only wore a hat. I made this easy no-sew DIY Big Bird costume hat for him to wear, while he skipped the yellow getup.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
You can wear this big bird costume hat together with a yellow tee and orange pants to turn it into a full-body costume. Aim for something you can reuse after Halloween as pajamas or clothing. My husband chose to wear the hat alone.
I chose a baseball cap for this DIY costume, as it doubles as Big Bird’s beak. Starting with the right structure makes this costume so crazy easy. I did go a little overboard with the wired feathers on top (you can really just glue some feathers directly on) but it was totally worth it!
I challenge you to take this a step further and add pink stripes to the pants (fabric paint, ribbons or felt + glue, or pink duct tape should do the trick.) Put orange socks over your shoes and you have yourself a full body costume!
What you need to make a Big Bird costume hat:
- A yellow baseball cap
- Felt in white, black, pink, light blue (a sampler pack should do the trick.)
- Glue gun or E6000
- Fabric and detail scissors
- Pen/chalk for marking
- Yellow feathers
- 20 gauge wire in 4-8 inch lengths – cut to size using wire cutters.
How to make a Big Bird costume hat:
1. Cut two larger white circles (I traced the bottom of a wine glass 😉 ) and two smaller black circles from felt.
2. Use your white circle as a guide to trace an eyelid in pink.
3. Use the pink and white circle to trace the blue stripe. Do this by making a small line that will cover the edge of the pink and some of the white. Make it slightly wider than your eye.
4. Assemble it as follows: place your eyelid, and then the black pupil directly below it.
Place the blue so that it overlaps the pupil a bit.
5. Assemble your eyes and glue them right above the visor of your cap. You can let them overlap slightly.
6. To make the feathers: tape them at the base to the wire.
7. Remove the fabric from the button in the center of the cap (mine came off easily.) Wrap the wires around the base.
8. Glue them in place as well. Replace the button (you’ll need to glue it.)
You Big Bird costume hat is complete and ready to wear for Halloween, Purim, or pretend play!