Does it annoy you when your bookmarks slip out and you’re back to square one? My one rule when making DIY bookmarks: they must have a way to secure them in place. It doesn’t have to be SECURE secure, so that it won’t slip out if you really try. I’ve totally given up on toddler-proofing my bookmarks. But I like it when there’s something more than just a paper slipped in – something to keep it somewhat fixed. Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
So, I decided to share with you two ways to make DIY bookmarks from crafts sticks so that they stay in place.
You can actually use my methods on any bookmarks – they’re super easy and versatile. I used one of the methods on ribbons a while ago, and came up with a new one that wouldn’t work on ribbon but works on craft sticks and many other materials.
Method 1: Use lightweight magnets to fix it in place. You don’t want to go too strong, because they you’ll tear the book, but basic promotional magnets like I used are perfect (put your plumber on speed dial first, especially if you’re a toddler mom…)
Method 2: Simply bind two of the same craft sticks on top so that it hooks over the page. If you slide it all the way down to where you connected it, it’s secure enough that it won’t slip out.
The possibilities of what you can do with these DIY bookmarks are endless. I decorated them with craft tape – an easy and clean option if you’re doing this with a crowd, and for tweens and teens. You can paint it, use glitter glue for younger children. Try stickers, stick-on gems (on the top only), decoupaged paper…. You can even try wood burning and do this with grown-ups!
Watch the video below to see how I’ve done it, or scroll down for the step-by-step and materials:
What you need to make DIY bookmarks that stay in place:
- Wide craft sticks
- Washi tape
- Magnet (promotional or printable magnets are the flattest and therefore work best)
How to make DIY bookmarks from craft sticks – method 2:
1. Wrap some tape around two craft sticks (or decorate however you’d like.)
2. Trim around the rounded corners and fix in place.
3. Stack your two craft sticks with the undecorated side facing inward, and tape close to the top, leaving about 1 cm above the taped section. That’s it!
How to make DIY bookmarks from craft sticks – method 1:
1. Cut strips of magnet to fit your craft sticks.
2. Glue them onto the craft sticks toward the bottom. You can do it along the whole craft stick if you want, but you don’t have to – it will work without.
3. I decorated this one using washi tape slightly wider than the craft stick, but mix and match the two styles as you’d like.
4. Trim around the rounded tip…
5. And decorate with more tape around the top if you want.
Use this one by placing them on either side of the page you’re up to and letting the magnets hold them in place.
Isn’t that clever?