For some reason, dressing up while pregnant is the most fun time to DIY a costume, and this past Purim I did just that. I made this DIY cookie monster costume – perfect for pregnant women – and was a good sport. Of course, the same costume can be made for young children too, but I did add a fun twist here that makes it perfect for a pregnant lady.
I wore this quirky DIY cookie monster costume when I was pregnant with Baby Y. I think that the photos are extra flattering as I was ENORMOUS!
I got lots of laughs and comments on the cookie in my belly. We actually jokingly called Baby Y Cookie Monster before he was born. This is how it came about:
We were having trouble coming up with a name for him, so I asked M (2 years old at the time) “What should the baby’s name be?” His response? “Cookie Monster!”
And so it came to be…
And once he was born, we learned just how appropriate that was. The kid likes to EAT! (As opposed to his big brother who, from day one, did not like to eat…)
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
As usual, I created a costume centered around an accessory: the hat. The rest of the costume can be made up of whichever appropriate garments in royal blue you want.
This time, though, I had some more fun with it. I made the cookie that I safety-pinned onto my royal blue maternity top, to show off the little cookie I was busy baking in there.
At the last minute I added some fun earrings to the mix!
As usual, the hat was thrown into the dress-up toy box for M to play with. He loves it and I had to beg him to take it off multiple times throughout the summer before going out into the 90 degree weather. I love it when costumes get reused throughout the year!
And, of course, this is a no-sew costume tutorial as I have yet to get a sewing machine (though hopefully, once my craft room is completed, I’ll be able to fix that!)
What you need to make a DIY cookie monster costume for pregnant lady:
- A bright blue beanie hat
- White and black felt (samplers work great)
- For the cookie: Light brown and black or dark brown felt. You’ll want to make sure to use a soft felt for this so that it sits nicely.
- Glue gun and sticks (or E6000)
- Fabric scissors (detail scissors are good to have too.)
- Safety pins
- Clothing to match!
How to make a DIY Cookie Monster costume hat:
1. Cut out two circles from white felt.
2. Cut two black smaller circles.
3. Position them as follows to make Cookie’s crazy eyes.
4. Draw a half moon with a squiggly top for the mouth.
5. Glue the parts on as follows – the eyes should be half-off the top of the hat.
How to make the DIY Cookie Monster costume top for pregnant women:
1. Use a large round object to trace a circle on soft brown felt.
2. Draw on a bite-shaped cutout.
3. Cut out and start cutting rounded rectangles from darker brown (or black) felt. The shapes don’t need to be exact.
4. Glue your chocolate chips onto your cookie. Pin the cookie onto the tummy part of your shirt.
I put the hat on a bit off-kilter to give it a more Cookie-ish feel. You can definitely play around and see how it works for you.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY cookie monster costume tutorial! Which costume for pregnant lady is your favorite? Share any ideas in the comments below!