What better way to celebrate Earth day than with an upcycled Earth Day craft? These simple magnets are so cheap and easy to make and they upcycle two types of junk you may have.
These jar lid magnets are more than just an Earth Day craft. They include a few great teaching moments in the process, as outlined in the instructions.
Supplies for the Earth Day Craft:
- Jar lids (I used baby food jars)
- Craft paint in blue and green
- Paintbrushes (a thick and thin one)
- Non-porous glue. I used E-6000, though an adult should do that part
- Promotional magnets
- A world map or globe to copy
1. Make sure your jar lids are totally clean and dry so that the paint will adhere properly.
2. Paint the inside and outside trim of your lids blue for water and let it dry. You can discuss how clean water reflects they sky, making it appear bluer, and how important it is to keep our water clean and blue.
3. Copy the basic shapes/formation of various continents from a world map using the green paint. You can discuss how important it is to keep the land green, and examples of how it can be done (for example, making craft projects out of “junk”).
4. Trim your promotional magnets to fit the backs of the lids. You want it to be big but not to stick out (so that it’s strong enough to hold the lid).
5. When your green is dry, glue on the magnets using a glue that works with non-porous substances.
6. Place on your fridge and enjoy!
What are you doing to celebrate Earth Day? Will you be making any Earth Day crafts? Share in the comments below!
For more Earth Day posts, check out the Earth Month blog hop! Plus, you can enter to win lots and lots of amazing Earth Month prizes here.
25 Awesome Earth Day Activities and Crafts Rural Mom
Sunday 22nd of October 2017
[…] Guide 14. Recycled Water Bottles Plastic Bead Mosaic – Things to Share and Remember 15. Earth Day Magnets – Moms and Crafters 16. DIY Flower Window Panels – Krokotak 17. 5 Quick and Easy Ways to Give Your Living Room an […]
21 Earth Day Craft For Kids To Make This Year * My Stay At Home Adventures
Sunday 10th of September 2017
[…] Upcycled Earth Magnets Earth Day Craft […]
Earth Day Ideas: Crafts and Activities for Kids - I am the Maven®
Tuesday 19th of April 2016
[…] Carton Tree Earth Day Craft | Glued to My Crafts 6. Shaving Cream Marbled Earth | Crafty Morning 7. Upcycled Earth Day Magnets | Moms and Crafters 8. Earth Day Art Activity | Carrots are Orange 9. Earth in Space Art Activity | […]
11 Earth Day Crafts for Kids | Days of a Domestic Dad
Monday 28th of March 2016
[…] Recycled Earth Magnets […]
Recycled Crafts - HEN Family
Tuesday 23rd of June 2015
[…] What better way to care for the earth than to make Earth magnets from jar […]