Make these adorable color block earrings to wear and to gift! Scroll down for the full tutorial.
OK, do you see what I did there? Color blocked blocks. Color blocks.
I’ll try to make that the extent of my corny jokes here.
Anyway, these color block earrings are trendy, fun, and easy to customize. The supplies are inexpensive, making them easy to create in bulk. You can make a pair for every outfit, make them in bulk as holiday gifts, or make them at a tween or teen party.
I played around with yellows, greens, and whites for no particular reason – try them in any color! They’re fun, summery, and just so adorable!
What you need to make color block earrings:
(Affiliate links are included for your convenience.)
- Unfinished craft cubes, 1/2 inch size
- Acrylic craft paint
- Flat pad earring studs
- E6000 glue
- Earwire of choice
- Tools: round nose pliers, chain nose pliers
How to make color block earrings:
1. Pour some paint into a bowl. Dip your blocks. For the green blocks, I just dipped the bottom. For the yellow and white, I poured it into the corner of the bowl, tilted it, and dipped the corner of the cube.
Allow it to dry completely.
2. I couldn’t find a bail or loop that had a flat pad that faced downward. So I improvised and used flat pad earring studs. I used the round nose pliers to curl it into a loop.
3. Glue the earring studs onto the top center of the block, and allow it to dry completely (overnight).
4. Attach your earwire. Pry the loop on the bottom open, hang your block, and close the loop back up. Your earrings are ready to wear or gift!
A few notes:
One of my favorite things about this craft is how open-ended the creative part is. That means that it can be done with a larger variety of age groups.
- If you’re doing it with younger children, prep the flat pad earrings, and attach them to the earwires in advance.
- Use a lighter-duty glue, or glue it on for the children.
- Children can make decorating the blocks more of a process. Paint pictures, splatter them… the possibilities are endless!
- If you want to avoid “pierced ear” problems that come along with doing something like this as a group, you can either give the option of clip earrings, or use a bail and chain to turn it into a necklace instead.
Want a great box to gift the color block earrings? Download these FREE printable pillow boxes that are just the right size!