Since my toddler has become obsessed with music, I’ve been looking into some amazing DIY musical instruments for him to play with. There are such great ideas which don’t require crazy DIY skills or supplies to make. I hope you enjoy these!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
Some of these DIY musical instruments are perfect for making on your own. Some are great kids crafts too. They can all be used as toys afterward.
The other day, M was playing with his pipe builders. He connected a few, blew into it, and it made a noise. He got so excited and said “music!”. He is really obsessed, so I decided it’s time to make a fun toy for him.
I put together the DIY hand drum below, and he adores it. I was surprised when assembling it how easy it is to make DIY musical instruments from things found around the house (or at least the crafter’s house…)
These DIY musical instruments are a great way to add a little crafty fun to music and movement activities – or even just to add to the toy box!
14 COOL DIY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS :
1. Make a cool DIY hand drum or rattle drum using recycled materials! This is M’s favorite..
2. Or try these Coffee Can Drums by Kids Activities Blog for some hand thumping fun.
3. This Cardboard Guitar by Pink Stripey Socks doesn’t just make great playroom decor. It actually strums!
4. Your kids can have fun decorating these easy Castanets by DIY Inspired.
5. Get moving with fun Fringe Musical Anklets by Giggles Galore. They aren’t just fun to wear, but the make an exciting jingly noise when your little one dances.
6. I am obsessed with this DIY Guitar/Tambourine by Kids Stuff World. It’s amazingly simple but effective!
7. This Popsicle Stick Harmonica by Housing a Forest is another simple and effective choice. It uses typical craft materials to produce a great sound.
8. Go Boho chic with this DIY Boho Inspired Tambourine by A Bubbly Life.
Here’s another tambourine from Craftulate that’s more kid-focused. Your child can make it nearly from start to finish and then play with it.
9. Your kids will have a blast making Washi Tape Rain Sticks by In the Playroom and decorating them with their names.
10. These DIY Toilet Roll Shakers by The Craft Train are another simple choice that are perfect for music and movement.
11. Make easy Homemade Maracas by Artsy Momma to shake and rattle.
12. Play the xylophone on a grander scale with this Homemade Rainbow Xylophone tutorial by And Next Comes L.
13. Here’s a new, more unique instrument to try! Make Painted Stick Instruments based on the Egyptian sistrum, and courtesy of Twodaloo, using nature as your focal point.
14. Finally, try a Homemade Kazoo by Buggy and Buddy – a craft your child can definitely get involved with and learn a lot from!
BONUS: After this post was published, Sunny Day Family shared these adorable mini drums you can make at the dinner table. They’re so cute, I decided to add them in here!
That’s all for now!
Which DIY musical instruments do you like to make? Comment below!