Since my toddler has become obsessed with music, I’ve been looking into some amazing DIY musical instruments for him to play with. There are such great ideas which don’t require crazy DIY skills or supplies to make. I hope you enjoy these!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
Some of these DIY musical instruments are perfect for making on your own. Some are great kids crafts too. They can all be used as toys afterward.
The other day, M was playing with his pipe builders. He connected a few, blew into it, and it made a noise. He got so excited and said “music!”. He is really obsessed, so I decided it’s time to make a fun toy for him.
I put together the DIY hand drum below, and he adores it. I was surprised when assembling it how easy it is to make DIY musical instruments from things found around the house (or at least the crafter’s house…)
These DIY musical instruments are a great way to add a little crafty fun to music and movement activities – or even just to add to the toy box!
14 COOL DIY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS :
1. Make a cool DIY hand drum or rattle drum using recycled materials! This is M’s favorite..
2. Or try these Coffee Can Drums by Kids Activities Blog for some hand thumping fun.
3. This Cardboard Guitar by Pink Stripey Socks doesn’t just make great playroom decor. It actually strums!
4. Your kids can have fun decorating these easy Castanets by DIY Inspired.
5. Get moving with fun Fringe Musical Anklets by Giggles Galore. They aren’t just fun to wear, but the make an exciting jingly noise when your little one dances.
6. I am obsessed with this DIY Guitar/Tambourine by Kids Stuff World. It’s amazingly simple but effective!
7. This Popsicle Stick Harmonica by Housing a Forest is another simple and effective choice. It uses typical craft materials to produce a great sound.
8. Go Boho chic with this DIY Boho Inspired Tambourine by A Bubbly Life.
Here’s another tambourine from Craftulate that’s more kid-focused. Your child can make it nearly from start to finish and then play with it.
9. Your kids will have a blast making Washi Tape Rain Sticks by In the Playroom and decorating them with their names.
10. These DIY Toilet Roll Shakers by The Craft Train are another simple choice that are perfect for music and movement.
11. Make easy Homemade Maracas by Artsy Momma to shake and rattle.
12. Play the xylophone on a grander scale with this Homemade Rainbow Xylophone tutorial by And Next Comes L.
13. Here’s a new, more unique instrument to try! Make Painted Stick Instruments based on the Egyptian sistrum, and courtesy of Twodaloo, using nature as your focal point.
14. Finally, try a Homemade Kazoo by Buggy and Buddy – a craft your child can definitely get involved with and learn a lot from!
BONUS: After this post was published, Sunny Day Family shared these adorable mini drums you can make at the dinner table. They’re so cute, I decided to add them in here!
That’s all for now!
Which DIY musical instruments do you like to make? Comment below!
Thursday 24th of May 2018
wow! I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO MAKE THIS HAND MADE INSTRUMENTS FOR MY SON. HE WILL LOVE THIS. THANK YOU
Friday 9th of March 2018
My heart melts! What a lovely ideas and such adorable diy crafts. Every kid will love this and enjoy making instruments.
Raising Creative Children
Sunday 19th of February 2017
How much fun to try out all of these DIY instruments! One thing we always like to do is to ask young children questions along the way such as how the materials they are using can impact the sound or how the way they make the sound (i.e. plucking, scratching, tapping, shaking etc.) can impact the sound. This really opens the imagination for all kinds of possibilities! Thanks for sharing!
Menucha @ Moms & Crafters
Tuesday 21st of February 2017
Samuel T. Cummins
Monday 8th of August 2016
What a great round up. My little boy is pretty much obsessed with making anything a musical instrument. he loves to make noise and especially loves playing with anything musical. These homemade instruments are quick and easy to make and based on simple recycled materials. My toddler is going to love these!. Thanks for sharing..
DIY Musical Instruments | My Craft Assistant
Monday 13th of June 2016
[…] These DIY Musical Instruments are a great craft to do with the odds and ends you probably have lying around your house. Momsandcrafters.com provides us with 14 different DIY Musical Instrument tutorials. Drums, guitars, castanets, and much more! Click on the image below to see all the tutorials. […]