Make a fun wire wrapped rainbow headband to wear! You can really do this super simple wire wrapped DIY in any color scheme, but I chose rainbow, because why not?
I had a package of colorful wires in different sizes (gauge) lying around for ages. I wanted to put it to good use, but since most of my jewelry crafts go colorful on the beads and not the wire, it’s been sitting. So, it was about time that I made something with the wire as a main feature!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
I also happen to be obsessed with headbands, and wear them regularly. I have a few that are my go-to bands, but none that are really bright and colorful.
This DIY wire wrapped rainbow headband is really, really simple. It’s basically different colors and thicknesses of wire wrapped around a metal headband. It’s a great craft for learning how to handle wire, or just for fun. You can use jewelry making wires, or even electrical wires.
You might have a hard time finding wires in various gauges in a single pack, but don’t worry – this headband comes out great even if you use a single gauge! The varying thicknesses do add a bit of interest and texture, but that works out best if you have an odd assortment lying around, like I have.
What you need to make a wire wrapped rainbow headband:
- A metal headband
- Colorful wire
- My wires were precut, however if yours aren’t, you’ll need wire cutters.
- Optional: pliers to nudge ends in, and E6000 glue to secure the wire into place (as it does slide a little on the completed headband.)
How to make a wire wrapped rainbow headband:
1. Begin by wrapping the end of your wire a few times around the headband. Starting about an inch or so from the end of the wire makes it easier, and begin your wrap above where the ears would be when you’re wearing the headband.
2. Wrap your “tail” (the short side) of your wire around until it’s flush against the headband.
3. Wrap the rest of your wire around, until you’re satisfied with how long that part is.
4. Start your next color. Make sure to start a few wraps away from the previous color, so that you have enough space to wrap the “tail.”
5. Continue with all your colors, or until you are satisfied with how it looks. Isn’t it pretty and bright?
As you can see, ther are some gaps. Don’t worry about these – they really don’t affect the look of the headband once you’re wearing it.
And the slight imperfections only add to the handmade look, giving it personality!
Wear your wire wrapped rainbow headband proudly! Or even better, give it as a gift to someone you love.