I was inspired by my pop-up peacock craft to make a Thanksgiving version -a turkey of course! Just like the peacock, this pop-up Turkey craft includes free printable feathers that can be used in any turkey craft – the choice is yours! If you prefer, make a simple clothespin turkey puppet instead. Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
Make a sweet pop-up card using your free printable turkey feathers. It’s perfect for showing a loved one how much you care, making a child feel truly special (M is obsessed with this), or giving with a hostess gift at the dinner you plan to attend.
I had many ideas for this pop-up turkey craft but ended up sticking with a card because it was the most straightforward.
I made an accordion with the feathers (and that’s what I technically designed them for) You can also use the feathers individually, for example, forming a napkin ring with them. And you can even connect some feathers at the bottom with a brad to fan it out that way.
I printed mine on colored paper. You can print them on white and color them in yourself. You can fringe the top for more texture. My purpose did not need card stock, but if you want it to be very stiff – especially if you’re not gluing it into an accordion (which gives it some structure) you’ll want to print on card.
Turn it into a greeting card by adding a sweet message of thankfulness – a wonderful way to make someone feel loved and to celebrate the holiday! I used two-toned textured card stock to make it feel really nice.
Download your Turkey Feathers Here:
You can download your feathers for this turkey craft below.
What you need to make your Pop-up Turkey Craft:
- Colored printer paper (or white paper + markers, but I’m warning you, it’s a LOT to color 😉 )
- Glue stick (extra strong)
- Colored card
- Marker (permanent if your card stock has a non-porous finish like mine)
- Recommended: paper trimmer
How to make a Pop-up turkey craft:
Watch the video below for the tutorial, or continue on for step-by-step directions:
1. Print your turkey feathers on colored paper. I used red and orange for my pop-up card and it adds to the cool 3D effect because they’re so close in color. Cut them out.
2. Glue them in an accordion. Start by placing one feather face down. Add glue to the right side up until the top section of the feather and place another face up on top. Add glue to the left side and place another face down. Continue with this pattern until you have enough for a half-circle (I used two sheets of feathers).
3. When it’s somewhat dry, loosen them as some of them may have stuck together where they’re not supposed to accidentally.
4. Let it dry completely before opening it up.
5. Fold a piece of card stock in half. Trim to the desired size, making sure each half of your card is wider than the stack of feathers.
6. Glue the accordion down using the end feather on each side so that the center will sit in the center of the card.
7. Create a body/face for your turkey if you’d like.
8. Glue it in place, tucking it slightly between two feathers, and checking that the angle allows it to fold nicely into the accordion.
9. Add a sweet message to the card.
That’s it! Your pop-up turkey craft is ready to give to a loved one!