With the warmer weather upon us, here are some basic tips for staying safe in the sun.
Warmer weather means more outdoor play. Children thrive outdoors, and need this for their physical health, as well as for their emotional, social, and mental well being. At the same time, the sun carries with it the frightening danger of Melanoma.
The importance of staying safe in the sun:
When I was a teen, a friend of mine lost a father to Melanoma. Having the impact so close to home really hits hard. With slightly darker skin tones, I was never too worried about the sun, until this happened. While fair skin carries a higher risk, dark skin needs protection too. Now, with increased awareness, I have been much more consistent and careful with my exposure.
If safety isn’t enough of a motivator, the sun also causes skin to age much quicker. Here is a simple illustration of how the sun affects skin:
You need both UVA and UVB protection to ensure that you are truly safe! Read on for more tips for being fully protected.
8 Simple Steps for Staying Safe in the Sun:
This post is coming from the perspective of a mom of a toddler, though these tips are good for everyone!
- Avoid extensive exposure during the strongest daylight hours – from 10 AM to 4 PM. We go outside to play daily at about 4:30.
- Wear proper protection: Cover as much skin as possible.
- Wear a broad-rimmed hat.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes AND the area around them. I put sunglasses on my toddler for as long as they last – they’re so cute!
- Be wary of cloudy days: the UV rays can seep through!
- Wear ample sunscreen and re-apply frequently! Goddess Garden Everyday should be reapplied at least every two hours, and every forty minutes if swimming or sweating. Goddess Garden Sport can be reapplied every eighty minutes when swimming or sweating.
- Apply natural sunscreen fifteen minutes before sun exposure (it works quicker than other sunscreens).
- Use a natural sunscreen! It’s much more effective, and free of cancer causing chemicals.
Why go Natural?
When my baby was half a year old, our doctor told us NOT to use sunscreen. Unfortunately, the main(active) ingredients in most major brand sunscreens that are supposed to PROTECT us from cancers actually cause them.
Goddess Garden provides me with a perfect solution – a natural sunscreen that is safe from these toxins, organic, eco-friendly, and naturally sourced!
Here is a simple graphic that illustrates what to look for in sunscreen, to ensure you’re properly protected:
Goddess Garden contains organic ingredients and recyclable packaging. You’ll be putting plants, and organic ingredients on your skin, instead of chemicals. It comes in a continuous spray as well – the first zinc and titanium based sunscreen available in this convenient form.
Nova Covington created Goddess Garden as a solution for her daughter, who is allergic to the chemicals in skin care products. Instead of those toxins, these sunscreens contain ingredients you can eat! Think radish, coconut, and tea, as well as minerals, aloe, and other plant-based ingredients.
I’m looking forward to sharing with you more about these wonderful products and my experiences using them, along with some more summer fun tips! Stay tuned for updates on my Facebook page, or follow along on Instagram!
Disclaimer: I received compensation for this post as a Goddess Garden Ambassador. Nevertheless, I would never endorse a product I don’t believe it.