I am so excited to bring you these free printable animal blocks to print and color! This post is the first in a series as part of my sponsored ambassadorship with STABILO. It’s a DIY toy and a fun activity bundled in one.
You know that I love making printables, and I love coloring. Most of all, I love creating printables M and me to color together. It’s a great opportunity for us to bond, and it’s also an outlet for me.
If you’ve been following along until now, you’ll remember that we have been trying to help M master some important kindergarten skills. A big part of it is his grasp, and how he holds his crayons and markers.
I have personally been using STABILO markers for years, but I was thrilled to discover how perfect their kids’ coloring tools are for M.
Their products are not only versatile, but they are designed to be better for M to learn how to grip correctly. For this project, M used the Trio Scribbi markers and Woody 3-in-1. The Trio Scribbi are triangular markers, with a spring tip – so that they don’t get squashed flat when he gets “overly ambitious” with his coloring. The Woody 3-in-1 are chubby, easy-to-grip pencils with the feel of a wax crayon.
Even though I officially designed these for M to color, I couldn’t resist coloring a batch for myself.
M really had lots of fun with these mix ‘n match animal blocks. For him, the goal was to get a head, body, and set of legs in the right order. He did try matching them up, but I also encouraged him to use his imagination too, and not to worry about getting it perfect.
Don’t you just love it when an activity turns into a fun toy to play with for hours? If you print it on a good quality card stock as I did, it will stand up to small amounts of abuse.
And if it doesn’t, you can just print another set and have fun coloring it again…
What you need to make these Mix ‘n Match Animal Blocks:
- The animal blocks, printed on card stock. Download them by entering your email address below, and then check your inbox for your files.
Subscribe to download your Mix 'n Match Animal Blocks
- Coloring materials! STABILO Trio Scribbi markers are perfect when doing this with preschoolers, and the Power and Power Max markers are great for school-age kids!
- A scoring tool (anything with a blunt tip, such as the back of a craft knife, can work)
- Glue or adhesive strips
How to put together your animal blocks paper toy:
1. Set out plenty of markers and art supplies and encourage creativity!
Join in on the fun too.
2. Cut out your boxes on the solid lines.
3. Score on the dashed lines.
4. Fold on the score lines – they are all mountain folds.
5. Apply glue or adhesive strips to the tabs and assemble. It’s that easy and fun!
And now it’s time to play with your animal blocks and have fun! Match them up or use your imagination. Give people animal parts and make a “girmonkger”.
You can use these animal blocks from time to time, just store them as you would any other blocks (just not together with heavier ones.) When they get too much love, just toss them into the recycling bin, print another batch, grab those STABILO art supplies, and get crafting!
Who will you be creating these with? Which are your favorite STABILO markers to color animal blocks with? Comment below! Follow along with STABILO on Facebook for more fun ideas!