“This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Glad, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #pressnsealhacks
I love jewelry. I love to travel. The mix can be tough, as I’m sure you’ve experienced. I decided to make this DIY jewelry roll that keeps out tangles, but doesn’t require you to painstakingly snap on all your pieces.
The trick to keeping your pieces tangle-free is Glad Press ‘n Seal. This amazing product sticks to itself, to other things, without any glues or sticky residue. It holds even chunkier pieces in place, and all you need to do is place your jewelry on the Glad Press ‘n Seal and cover it with more, sealing the area in between pieces.
I like to make things as reusable as possible, which is why I decided to create a durable, pretty frame.
The fun part of this DIY jewelry roll is how easy it is to customize. Since Glad Press ‘n Seal is so lightweight, you can use any durable tape for the frame (Avoid tapes that are meant to remove easily, such as washi tape). I used both duct tape and fabric tape. If you want it to roll up more easily, use fabric tape.
I also put in small, powerful magnets to help secure the duct tape trim in place. Isn’t that cool? It’s like those handbags with invisible magnets, except that you don’t need to have sewing skills or to do anything fancy to make it like that. (The Glad Press ‘n Seal part doesn’t need it – it’s because I wanted a trim to make it cuter, easier to keep between each trip, and even ready to gift!)
What you need to make a DIY jewelry roll:
- Glad Press ‘n Seal (available at WalMart)
- Duct tape and/or fabric tape
- Neodymium magnets (keep away from children)
How to make a travel jewelry roll:
1. Go to WalMart and get your Glad Press ‘n Seal (it’s available near where they have their cling wrap).
2. On a flat surface, make a “frame” of duct tape. Make a rectangle the size you want (keep in mind that you’ll be folding it in half), placing the duct tape with the sticky side face up.
3. Cut a piece of Glad Press ‘n Seal to size, and place it within the frame sticky side up.
4. Place your magnets on the duct tape. Note: if you covered your duct tape with the Glad Press ‘n Seal, it does not matter, as you can stick it on in the next step.
Place them in pairs in opposite locations, making sure that the ones that will stick together when folded are placed North side facing South (in other words, make sure that they’ll attract to each other, and not repel each other).
It’s your choice how many magnets to place. I recommend placing it in the four corners, and in the fold.
5. Now, cover your other side with tape, opposite your tape frame, completing your jewelry roll frame.
You’re ready to roll! (See what I did there?)
Place your jewelry on one half of the Glad Press ‘n Seal, fold it in half, sealing between the pieces, and allow the magnets to seal it in. You can roll it up and tie with a ribbon, or just keep it flat.
Enjoy your tangle-free jewelry thanks to your DIY jewelry roll!
Tuesday 16th of June 2015
I know that you make amazing, beautiful, quality jewelry so the fact that you would use this on YOUR items makes me believe in this! Just go in your cupboard and BAM you are ready to go bon voyage! Thanks for being so creative and smart AND sharing all of your life hacks!!
Menucha @ Moms & Crafters
Wednesday 17th of June 2015
Aw, thanks, Dawn! I actually used this for my fine jewelry - my gold. There is absolutely no residue and it traps out air so it also helps my older silver not get tarnished...