I love no-sew tee upgrades, and this monster t-shirt is right up my alley! I made it for M when he needed to wear a purple shirt because it was “purple day” in preschool, but he didn’t have one. I frantically scrambled for ideas until I came up with this fun tie-die/applique blend that’s super easy to do. It took a few minutes at a time out of a hectic day, and was a huge hit. Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
As you can see from these photos this DIY monster t-shirt was an epic hit.
M had bragging rights – “My Mommy made it!!” and I also did just a little bit. And the coolest part was: it really did not take a lot of time (a commodity which I don’t have.)
I did not do fancy ties for the tie die. I did not prepare dips or mixes or whatever-else-people-do-to-complicate life. I simply scrunched it up a bit and spray painted with fabric spray paint. That gave it a cool texture too – perfect for monsters!
I washed it right after I made it using cold water and nothing bled. I made this monster t-shirt on an old plain white t-shirt that was a bit ratty. It was a cold day so we did layer up with a long sleeved black tee underneath.
Pair this fun monster tee with some jeans or anything really. You can make it in any color of the rainbow, depending which “color of the week” you find yourself stuck on 😉
What you need to make a tie dye monster t-shirt for toddlers:
- Plain white tee
- Spray fabric paint
- Black and white felt, plus small pieces in the color you’re using to tie die
- Glue gun or E6000 glue
- Fabric scissors
How to make an easy no-sew DIY monster shirt for kids:
1. Lay out your shirt in a cardboard box or on a protected surface.
2. Scrunch it up in random spots.
3. Spray away!
4. When you’re satisfied with your coverage, gently un-scrunch.
5. Flip over on a clean bit of cardboard and repeat!
6. Hang your tie dyed shirt to dry.
7. Cut out your felt parts! Start with a mouth shape as pictured.
8. Cut out black circles for your eye(s). Go for an odd number to keep things SCARY!!
9. Trace and cut for the iris.
10. Repeat with a white circle.
11. Add a few triangles for teeth.
12. Glue it all together and you have a fun and not-so-scary monster shirt!
Who will you make this monster t-shirt for? Comment below!