Craft these pretty and fun earth day bookmarks using the free printable template! When you’re done, try this sweet flamingo bookmark too. This post contains affiliate links.
It’s always a good day for crafts, but I especially love Earth Day. What could be more wholesome than connecting with nature and appreciating the resources all around us?
In this post, you’ll find instructions for creating a globe, a tree, and a flower. While they were inspired by Earth Day, you can of course use these fun shapes any time. You can make them all at once, or pull out the best one for a specific theme or occasion.
In this tutorial, we will attach the paper shapes to sticks to create bookmarks. But you can also feel free to use them on their own to decorate cards, book covers, wall signs, or whatever your creativity leads to.
Because the cutout shapes have some complexity, this craft is engaging enough for older children to enjoy. Younger children or those with motor difficulties may need some help with the cutting, or you can provide the pieces already cut for them to assemble.
The instructions below teach you how to use the template to simply create the designs out of paper. But once you have done that, there’s no limit to what you can add for enhancement.
If you’re hoping to get long-term use out of these as bookmarks, I would consider laminating the paper craft before attaching the stick. If you don’t have a laminating machine, you can use clear packing tape to carefully cover each side of the paper. It’s a small craft so it’s easier to handle that way.
If you are not planning to laminate the paper, use a stronger paper like cardstock for this craft and glue it using strong tacky glue. Alternatively, if you use thinner paper, you can glue the finished paper craft onto cardstock and trim the cardstock to the right shape before putting on the bookmark stick.
Let’s get started!
What you need
- Colored paper
- Pencil (to trace template)
- Glue (liquid school glue or tacky glue)
- Craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks)
- Earth day template – print at the end of the post
How to Craft Earth Day Bookmarks
1. Print the template and cut out the pieces. We’ll start with the Earth design. Trace the template pieces onto the colored papers of your choice and cut them out. For the Earth template, the larger circle is for a cardstock backing – I used white – and the slightly smaller circle is for the actual globe, shown here in blue. Then I used green for the land forms, pink for the mouth, and white for the eyes. Use a marker to draw eye details on the eye outline shapes.
2. For the Earth design, arrange the (green) land cutouts around the outer edge of the (blue) circle and glue them down.
3. Glue the eye cutouts slightly above the middle of the Earth pattern. Glue the mouth cutout onto an appropriate place below the eyes.
4. Glue the entire Earth design onto the slightly larger cardstock cutout to create a little border and strengthen the craft.
5. Attach the tip of a craft stick to the back of the Earth design to complete your first bookmark.
6. Next, trace the flower pattern pieces onto the colored papers of your choice and cut them out
7. Glue the smaller flower shape onto the larger flower shape, and attach the circle onto the center.
8. Glue the flower and leaf onto the stem cutout. Glue a craft stick to the back to form the bookmark.
9. Trace and cut out the tree pattern pieces.
10. Glue the smaller treetop shape onto the larger treetop shape.
11. Glue the trunk onto the tree top so that it looks like branches going into the tree.
12. Glue a craft stick to the back to complete your tree bookmark. Leave that bottom half inch to an inch unglued and just glue on top to be able to sandwich the page between the craft stick and the paper craft.
Download the free template
To download, fill out the form below. You’ll be signed up for our free newsletter – unsubscribe at any time in the footer of the emails. I respect your privacy and the law and won’t share your information with anyone.