Craft a father’s day gift bag to seriously upgrade your Father’s Day gifts! When you’re done, you can check out this paper trophy craft for Dad too! This post contains affiliate links.
There’s nothing quite like adding a touch of DIY to a gift to really upgrade it! And while Dad might have way too many DIY mugs and other crafts like that, creating your own Father’s Day gift bag is a fabulous way to add that personalized touch without compromising on gift quality.
(Of course, if you’re a master DIYer whose handmade gifts are spoken of for miles around, do ignore me.)
If Dad is a shirt-wearer this is perfect for him! And even if he only occasionally wears shirts, he can appreciate this. I know my husband will! It’s fab for Grandpa too, and of course, for holiday gifting for the men in your life as well, but we’re making this today for Father’s Day.
While we made this 100% from scratch using cardstock, you can also start with just a basic gift bag and customize the front. You’ll need to alter the tutorial, working with a rectangle. You can also trim the top of the gift bag to create this.
And while we used paper for the buttons and tie, you may prefer to switch up your materials. You can add on actual shirt buttons for an incredibly adorable touch!
What you need
How to make a shirt Father’s Day gift bag
1. Choose a colored craft paper for the shirt paper gift bag. Measure and cut out a 20 cm X 14 cm rectangle.
2. Keeping 1 cm extra along the left, fold the paper in almost half horizontally.
3. Apply glue along the extra 1 cm and fold it over the front of the Father’s Day gift bag.
4. Fold 4 cm up from the bottom of your bag.
5. Split open the bottom fold and crease down the right half.
6. Repeat on the left side.
7. Fold the top of the flap that you created downward just past the center.
8. Fold the other flap upwards, overlapping the previous flap. Glue the overlap so that the bottom of your bag is secure.
9. Notice the two diamonds formed on either side of the bottom of your bag. Fold both sides of your bag inward at the top and bottom points of the diamond (but along the whole side).
10. Open the last 2 folds and blow into the opening at the top to fully expand the bag.
11. Fold the middle side creases inward and bring the rest of the creases outwards. Create a 2.5 cm crease along the open end of the paper bag.
12. Cut 3 cm slits on each side of the crease.
13. Flip it over. Cut off the top of the back of the bag (which will now be the front) until the crease that you made earlier.
14. Fold the right side of the 3 cm portion that you slitted earlier diagonally inwards.
15. Repeat on the left to form your shirt collar.
16. Cut out 2 small circles from a contrasting craft paper and add them to the shirt collar.
17. Cut out a tie shape from a contrasting paper and some strips as well.
18. Attach the paper strips to the tie.
19. Attach the tie to the paper shirt bag, below the collar to complete the craft.
Craft a shirt gift bag that's adorable for Father's Day! This simple craft is such a creative way to wrap a gift for the special person in your life.
- Select a colored craft paper for the shirt paper gift bag. Measure and cut out a 20 cm X 14 cm sheet from the selected craft paper.
- Keeping 1 cm extra along the short side, fold the rest of the longer side in half.
- Apply glue along the extra 1 cm part and attach it with the other open side to close the sides of the paper bag.
- Fold 4 cm of the current paper inwards from any open sides.
- Open the fold from a side, keeping it flattened with the paper pattern.
- Now, open the other side of the fold, again, keep it flattened. This will create 2 flaps on the bottom side.
- Fold any one of the flap in half and inwards.
- Fold the other flap inwards and overlap the previous flap. Apply glue to close the bottom side by joining the flaps.
- Fold both sides of the current pattern by using the opposite corners of the square parts on the bottom.
- Open the last 2 folds and blow the paper bag through the open end.
- Fold the middle side creases inside and bring the rest of the creases outwards. Create a 2.5 cm crease along the open end of the paper bag.
- Cut 3 cm slits from both sides of the crease.
- Cut off the open side of the top creased part, keeping the reverse part only.
- Fold the right side of the 3 cm part diagonally inwards.
- Similarly, fold the left side of the 3 cm part to form the collar of the paper bag shirt.
- Cut out 2 small circles from a different colored craft paper and add them to the open corner ends of the collar.
- Cut out a tie shape from a different colored paper and some strips from 2 or 3 different colored papers.
- Attach the paper strips to the tie pattern.
- Attach the tie pattern to the paper shirt bag, below the collar to complete the craft.