Make these Funfetti cake balls from the trimmings of a favorite birthday cake, or make the cake special. Either way, cake balls are the perfect party treat – bite size, and easy to freeze leftovers. Scroll right to the end of this post if you want to skip to the printable version. Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
One of my favorite features of these Funfetti cake balls is that they’re perfect for baking with kids!
You can mix up the toppings too, customize it for any event, or have the kids choose which ones to use. With these colorful sprinkles, they are ideal for a unicorn, mermaid, or even a rainbow themed party.
Keep them as balls (what I prefer to do) or add lolly sticks to turn them into cake pops.
What you need to make Funfetti Cake Balls:
1 box of Funfetti cake mix
1/2 cup Oil
1 cup Water
1 container of vanilla frosting
1 bag of white chocolate melting wafers
Cake pop sticks (optional)
Mini cupcake pan
How to make Funfetti Cake Balls:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the cake batter according to the package instructions
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners in a cupcake pan
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 21 minutes.
- Remove from the cupcake pan and let cool. Remove liners and crumble the cake into a medium bowl.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. frosting to the crumbled cake. Combined until dough-like.
- Take a small size of the dough and form into a ball. Continue until all cake mix is formed into balls
- Place onto a plate and place into the freezer for 30 minutes until solid
Prepare the chocolate:
- Using a double boiler, melt the white chocolate. Prepare your work space with your cake balls set out next to your melted chocolate.
- Take a cake pop stick and dip one end into the chocolate, push the cake pop stick end with the melted chocolate into the cake ball. Use a floral foam brick to place our cake pops in as they harden
Place back into the freezer until chocolate is hard
- Pull cake balls back out and dip into the melted chocolate. Lightly tap the stick onto the edge of the pot with the melted chocolate so that the extra chocolate falls off.
- Push bottom of stick into the floral foam block to hold the stick. Sprinkle some confetti sprinkles on top of the cake pop. Repeat with remaining cake balls.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, slowly pull out the sticks for cake balls or leave in for cake pops –