Toddler diaper changes are not like infant ones. Around the age of one, my baby suddenly started getting hysterical every time we changed. He fought like crazy, resisting and putting up a sad struggle.
It took some practice, but now things are happy (for the most part.) He doesn’t exactly jump onto the changing table, but we manage with little to no struggle.
I’ve narrowed our experiences to twelve practical tips. Try them all, one at a time, and see which work best for you!
12 MOM TO MOM TIPS FOR HAPPY TODDLER DIAPER CHANGES:
- Distract like crazy! Give your toddler a book or a toy to play with. You can even turn something on, such as a story CD.
- I often give my toddler a diaper or a couple of wipes to play with. He loves doing what I’m doing, and having what I’m having so that often works. Not only that, but Pampers Cruisers have his favorite Sesame Street characters! So you’ll find him “reading” the diaper, as if it’s a book.
- Connect. Talk to your toddler, and make funny noises. Lean forward, give her a kiss.
- Do it gently. I don’t mean just “not being rough” because that would seem obvious. But if your toddler is struggling, move softly, and gently. Give him some time to play on the changing table (while you hold on to him, of course). Don’t rush it.
- Use comfortable diapers. After a number of changes, I realized that the diapers were bothering my baby. Pampers Cruisers are so soft, they feel like fabric, and M minds them much less.
- Use good wipes. Make sure that what you’re using doesn’t irritate your toddler, and definitely opt for a sensitive variety.
- Don’t wait until you’re desperate! Toddlers sense all kinds of moods, including desperation. So change as soon as possible. In addition, sitting a little longer in a wet diaper can irritate the area. That leads me to number eight:
- Be aware of rashes and irritation. The worst diaper struggles happen with an irritated tush. If you keep using creams and the rash isn’t going away, talk to your doctor – it could be a fungal infection, and require a prescription.
- Be silly. Toddlers love silliness, and it’s a great way to lighten the mood for an unwanted activity.
- Empathize. Especially when it comes to very dirty diapers, or similar “emergencies”, we often forget about our toddler’s feelings. Toddlers are at a stage when they are really beginning to express emotions, and that is what he is doing when he struggles.
- Let her help. Toddlers love to “help”. Whether it’s choosing which diaper (the one with Elmo or the one with Big Bird?) or allowing her to wipe her hand with a wipe, while you wipe the bottom, let her feel involved.
- Make diapers a good thing. Many toddlers feel weighted down by their diapers. It inhibits their movements. You can see how they walk “funny” when their diapers sag. When they run around diaperless, they almost seem like a weight was removed.
Pampers’ new and improved Cruisers features a new sag-free design. Your toddler will be able to move more freely, and love her diapers just a wee bit more!
MORE ABOUT THE NEW PAMPERS CRUISERS:
Pampers has just recently improved their Cruisers diaper line, with happy toddler diaper changes in mind! They know that toddlers can be fussy, and are very opinionated, so they did everything they can to keep yours happy.
- Elmo! Which toddler doesn’t love Elmo and his friends? Pampers cruisers have these friendly monsters all over (along with their alphabet friends).
- More absorbent! How many times have you had midnight leaks, or wet pants while you were on the road? It’s happened to us. The new Pampers Cruisers have Extra Absorb Channels to help distribute the wetness better.
- Better fit – just like Pampers is known to offer.
- No sag! Pampers Cruisers doesn’t sag, weighing your toddlers down. (Based on size four, and compared to value brands).
- Special offers at Target! To help you save what you can, follow along with these specials: August 23- August 29: Buy 3 Pampers Giant Packs (Cruisers and Swaddlers) and get a $25 Target gift card. August 30-September 5: Buy 2 Pampers Giant Packs and get a $10 gift card. You can do either deal in store or online.
Pampers Cruisers help M and me have happy diaper changes. The fit is superior, and the comfort is so much better.
WHAT ARE YOUR BEST TIPS FOR HAPPY TODDLER DIAPER CHANGES? SHARE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.