Got some extra nail polish lying around? Don’t we all! Here are some other uses for nail polish that you can try. These are all life hacks that I’ve personally used – so do it and enjoy! (Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links)
Nail polish is far more than a cosmetic! It’s a hard-wearing paint with an enamel texture.
And while you may find it chipping on your hands within a day or two, that’s only because it’s on your hands. On more porous surfaces, such as fabric and wood, it is much stronger. Even on smooth surfaces, it lasts far longer than on your hands, which receive the maximum wear and tear.
12 Genius uses for nail polish:
1. Use it to stop a run in a pair of stockings. Just seal the ends of the run with a dab of clear or coordinating nail polish.
2. Cut a length of ribbon, and seal the ends with a bit of clear or coordinating nail polish. You have an instant hair bow for your little girl! You can use it to stop the ends of any ribbon or small piece of fabric from unraveling.
3. Label dishes! I use it all the time to color code which dishes I use for meat and which for dairy. You can use it to label gluten dishes, if you have someone suffering from Celiac in the house. Just dab it in a spot that doesn’t touch the food.
4. Got fake pearls? Don’t you hate it when the outer layer rubs off and they look like plastic? Coat them with a topcoat to get much more life out of them!
5. Got fake or plated jewelry? Cover it with clear nail polish to extend the life as well, and to prevent it from rubbing off on your skin.
6. Here’s another way to make fake jewelry work for you using nail polish: If your ears are sensitive to a pair of earrings, try coating the part that goes into your ear. Your ear might be able to tolerate that more than the metals.
7. Use it in your crafts. As I mentioned, it’s a hard-wearing paint. There are so many crafts available for you to try, I even put together a separate list.
8. Use it to help you thread a needle. Dab in a bit, let it dry, and thread away!
9. Use it as a waterproof seal. That works on crafts such as this one, and also on addressed envelopes, Popsicle sticks,and more…
10. Glue small stones back into jewelry using clear nail polish! While E6000 works better, clear nail polish will do the job in a fix.
11. Secure screws AND keep them from rusting. The coat of nail polish will give it a little grip AND will block the rust from happening. Psst – you can use this on anything you don’t want to rust!
12. Seal an envelope using a bit of nail polish. Try it – it works!
Which ideas do you have for alternative uses for nail polish? Share it in the comments below!