Rocks are probably the cheapest (I mean free-est) craft supply out there, because that’s totally what they are – craft ready! These 16 things to make with rocks will keep you busy on a budget! This post contains affiliate links.
You’ll absolutely love this great list of unique crafts for moms, kids, and everyone in between. Use the rocks from outdoor fun, scavenger hunts, or grab some for your projects specifically. You can even make things using souvenir rocks you picked up in special places.
Crafting does NOT have to be expensive, as these cool things to make with rocks proves. And some of these look LEGIT. We’re not talking about your kid’s pet rock, now, are we?
16 Things to make with rocks:
All of the images for the rock crafts below were used with the permissions of the respective bloggers for the purpose of this post. Click on the title link for the full tutorial.
I have created a square and vertical image for your convenience for sharing these things to make with rocks. Please use the first or last image in this post when sharing and not one of the individual photos below, out of respect for the creators’ copyrights.
1. Every time I wear these DIY Gold nugget earrings and tell people that they are painted rocks, they reply with “whaaaaat?!” A little bit of gold acrylic paint goes a long way on these. I use these backs to keep them from being too heavy.
2. These Beaded Rock Paperweights by Craft Ideas are fun and open-ended art!
3. Make these Stone Cairns by Nurture Store and have fun taking photos of them too!
This is a great photo prompt. Do this in every location you visit and make a memory/gallery wall from them!
4. A Pot of gold nuggets is a fun and quirky thing to make – the rougher the stones the better! Keep the nuggets as is, add a rainbow for fun, or stick a branch in the center for a cool centerpiece.
5. One of my favorite ways to use rocks is with wire wrapping. Wire Wrapped Rock Rain Chain by Dollar Store Crafts takes that beyond jewelry.
6. This Garden Rock Caterpillar by Nellie Bellie makes for a fun summer garden craft – perfect for a collaborative activity!
7. Here’s another fun wire and rock idea! Make Wire Flowers on the Rocks with a tutorial by Skip to My Lou.
8. This woodsy entry-way organizer is easier to make than you might realize! I used a ready wood plank with rough edges, rocks painted with gold acrylic, and the ever-strong Sugru to hold it together. (that stuff is crazy!)
9. Add fun texture to your garden with a Stone Birdhouse by the Empress of Dirt.
10. Another way to spruce up your garden: make Mosaic Garden Rocks by Kenarry.
11. IF you’re after the process and want to work with texture, try Yarn Wrapped Rocks – by Pink Stripey Socks. It’s a fun and easy way to subtly “yarn bomb” the outdoors…
12. Use beach stones to make a Beach-in-a-jar keepsake. Try it with your favorite shell and remember that special trip.
13. Use nature to mark your plants with Rock Garden Markers by Crafts by Amanda. They are so bright and fun!
14. You can use a pretty rock for the center stone of this Macramé Stone Necklace by DIY Ready.
15. Here’s another way to mix shells and rocks: make a Stone and Shell Owl Craft by Rhythms of Play.
16. Stone Weaving Crafts by Molly Moo Crafts are beautiful, and another cool way to mix rocks and yarn.
Which things to make with rocks have you tried? Comment below!
Want to learn how to make jewelry out of anything – including rocks and other nature finds? Get the book!
Sunday 3rd of July 2022
Me and my wife have done a few things with rocks. I actually got done on one knee and asked her to marry me a presented her with a big rock. It was about a foot or so long and around 6/7 tall. And now it’s in our flower bed. When we got married we wired stone and to hold picture on the tables, and out toasting glasses we didn’t make put the stem of the glass went through a rock
Menucha @ Moms & Crafters
Sunday 28th of August 2022
I'll bet that was the biggest rock she might have expected to be proposed with :) Thanks for sharing!
Saturday 12th of September 2020
I make “pet rocks” with my kids
Wednesday 1st of July 2020
Hi i am disabled and use rocks and pebbles to create Birdbaths. planters, and Birdhouses. And they actually sell which is thrilling for me too! Thank you fot sharing and allowing us to share too! Connie b in NC
Tuesday 7th of April 2020
Rock art pictures are fun too
Thursday 1st of August 2019
I like this