Today’s post is a guest post from Melissa at CloudMom. She shares with us some of those little things that we forget to appreciate now, but that we will sorely miss as our babies grow up. I really enjoyed reading what she had to share, and I’m sure you will too!
Melissa from CloudMom here, to talk about a subject very close to my heart: my kids. My husband, Marc, and I, had five children all in a row within the span of six and a half years. They have become my world and even the inspiration for my mommy blog. But sadly, the baby of the family, Marielle, almost five years old now, is not such a baby anymore! Though I love seeing them grow up each and every day in countless ways, here are some of the things I will surely miss about my babies.
- Firsts: Infancy is all about firsts. Whether it’s his first smile, her first steps, or his first day of preschool. Time sure flies when you’re a mom so it’s important to cherish the “firsts” and to look for them even when your kids are growing up!
- Baby Hair: Though my kids have been “cursed” with my thin Swedish hair, one thing I’ll miss about their being babies are the wispy locks atop their heads. I loved holding my babies while nursing them and caressing their soft hair…ahh the simpler days. Also, I could do without the expensive haircuts now that they’re older!
- Hugs and Kisses: In infancy and toddlerhood, there was never a limit to how many snuggles and kisses I could exchange with my kids. Now, it’s ‘Mom, stop embarrassing me!’ when I hug them just a little too long in public. C’est la vie.
- Their Vocabulary: Is there anything funnier than a young toddler’s vocab? I loved their made-up words for everyday objects or their efforts at sounding out new words.
- Baby fat: Chunky thighs, chubby cheeks. I sure miss squeezing these! What a joy it was.
- The outfits: Never again will it be as socially acceptable for siblings to wear exactly matching outfits. I think my oldest boys are over that phase of their lives. But I sure had fun dressing them up in some pretty fun outfits when they were babies to toddlers!
- Baby Shoes: Speaking of baby clothes, is there anything cuter than the little booties? We got a lot of use out of them because Marielle got the hand-me-downs from all of her siblings, but they were still cute as a button!
- That New Baby Smell: Bath time was one of my absolute favorite times with my five kiddies. They just loved splashing and playing with their bath toys and afterward, I felt refreshed myself as a mom. There’s nothing quite like swaddling your baby in a towel and breathing in their clean baby smell.
- Discovering new things: Are those feet down there?? Your face doesn’t disappear when we play Peek-a-Boo? I loved watching my babies discover the big, beautiful world around them and seeing the look of wonder in their eyes. I hope they never stop discovering and learning new things all of their lives!
- Having an excuse for everything: Don’t want to attend that meeting? Having a baby or toddler at home is the perfect excuse for getting out of almost any situation. Maybe you couldn’t get a sitter or your baby wasn’t feeling well. And nobody ever doubts you! Perfect for when you and baby just need some down time for yourselves.
So there you have it – the top 10 things I’ll miss about being a new(ish) mom! What a wonderful time for any woman and too soon over! I cherish each and every moment when I can because they’ll be out of the house before I know it!
Lots of love,
About the author: Melissa Lawrence, founder of CloudMom, lives in New York City with her husband and 5 young children. With a few parenting tricks up her sleeve, Melissa posts how-to videos and blogs for parents on a range of issues including baby, toddler, kids, fashion, travel, and well-being. Follow Melissa’s latest activity by clicking the links below! CloudMom.com | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram