Learn how to make a bottle cap necklace that looks like a druzy stone! This easy upcycle is one of my favorite bottle cap crafts of all time. This post contains affiliate links.
Grab the bottle caps from your water bottles and make something gorgeous out of them.
The druzy is the crystal portion of a geode, and a little crushed glass glitter in a bottle cap gets you that look on a dime! This is one of my favorite out-of-the-box jewelry crafts. It takes something that’s the garbagiest of garbage and turns it into a subtly million dollar look.
There are definitely ways to make this look even more convincing which I’ll share below!
A while ago, I experimented with making faux druzy using glass glitter to make DIY druzy earring studs. The truth is, you can buy faux druzy for quite cheap, however the glass glitter has gorgeous depth and sparkle, and it’s secure in place. It doesn’t shed.
At first, I wanted to make these out of beer bottle caps, but I couldn’t figure out the logistics of drilling a hole. I realized it’s easier to make a hole in plastic.
To get the beautiful shine on the border, I used a soft metallic nail polish that had thickened too much to use on nails. I love making nail polish crafts, as I rarely need a second coat to get rich, glossy, high quality color. You can, however, use an acrylic paint to achieve this effect. My best suggestion would be FolkArt’s Treasure Gold paint.
I also didn’t allow it to pool in the ridges. If you’d like to conceal the bottle cap better from the sides you can do that.
You can also make this fun bottle cap pendant more intricate. I like to keep crafts doable rather than aspirational, but if you want to get fancy, get fancy!
You can make a whole geode effect by leaving some area blank in the middle, painting it, coat the outside of the bottle cap in clay and paint that gold, you get my drift. In this simple version, you have more of a fun gimmick you can wear or gift to a friend rather than a polished object. But again, all you need to do is conceal the bottle cap better to get it to that stage.
What you need to make a bottle cap necklace
- Water bottle cap – the smaller and flatter the better
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic – (note: I received this product free from Mod Podge for promotional purposes). This is a fantastic alternative for resin for this type of craft as it air dries and requires no mixing – it’s really easy to use in such quantities.
- Glass glitter
- An awl (requires more effort) or woodburning/soldering tool
- An eyepin OR a headpin + round nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Gold nail polish or paint
- Snap on pendant bail
- Finished chain for wearing
How to make a Faux Druzy Bottle Cap Necklace
1. Make a hole in your bottle cap using an awl or woodburning/soldering tool
2. Trim an eyepin to fit well within the bottle cap and slide it through the top to the inside. Alternatively, use a headpin. Make sure the head doesn’t slide through the hole. If it does, add a small bead (the smallest you can get away with). Trim it to a 10mm tail, slide it from the inside to the outside and make a simple loop.
3. With the bottle cap face open-side-up, pour some Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to just barely coat the bottom.
Make sure that your eyepin sits straight, as you’d like it to in the Dimensional Magic.
4. Pour a layer of glass glitter.
5. Add another layer of Dimensional Magic and then glass glitter. Keep in mind that it’ll settle a little as it dries.
6. Before setting it to dry, make sure that the eyepin is faced so that the opening is facing the direction you’ll want for threading your chain. So if you’re adding a pendant bail (recommended), make the opening face forward/back. Coat the sides and a bit of the front with gold nail polish or paint. Adding a bit to the front edge gives it a much more realistic, convincing look.
7. When your nail polish is dry, snap on a pendant bail and thread your chain. And now wear it with your favorite evening dress!
Your faux druzy bottle cap necklace is complete. Would you believe you almost threw that out?! What’s your favorite unbelievable jewelry upcycle? Comment below!
Sharing is caring! Enjoy the free SVG to make these acrylic laser earrings, cut using a diode laser. When you’re done, check out my big list of DIY dangle earrings ideas. This post contains affiliate links. One of the coolest things about stepping into laser crafting is the incredible new materials that I can play…
Enjoy my in-depth review of the xTool F1 Laser engraver – including some material tests and settings! Also check out my favorite crafting gadgets. This post contains affiliate links. Heads up: this review is long and in-depth so if you want, you can skip to your specific questions using the table of contents: For the…
Learn how to make a resin pendant with flowers inside – or other fun embellishments! When you’re done, learn how to make resin earrings too. This post contains affiliate links. The possibilities with resin crafting are truly endless, and as you’ll see in this tutorial for how to make a resin pendant. While pendants can…
Create this quick and easy wish bracelet with endless design possibilities! When you’re done, check out everything you need to know to make your own friendship bracelets to add to your stack. This post contains affiliate links. Ready for a true childhood throwback craft? How about some DIY wish bracelets? These fun and earthy bracelets…
Make these gorgeous, classy horizontal stripe friendship bracelets with a subtle ribbed texture! When you’re done, try making a chevron friendship bracelet. This post contains affiliate links. When I first learned how to make a horizontal stripe friendship bracelet, a unique spinoff popped in my head. Flip it over instead of running it backwards to…
Craft these fun and easy Paper Bead Bracelets- this possibilities are endless! When you’re done, check out these DIY Friendship Bracelet Tutorials and Patterns. This post contains affiliate links. Paper bead bracelets bring me back to my childhood, they’re such a classic. Anyone can make them, the supplies are easily available, and there’s no limit…
Learn how to make small thread tassels the easy way – and how to make them perfectly sized! These are perfect for your jewelry making crafts. This post contains affiliate links. I’ve shared a few techniques for tassels in the past, and I like to always build on skills using different materials. While making tassels…
Make these simple flower friendship bracelets using basic friendship bracelet makings kills! When you’re done, check out more friendship bracelet patterns for beginners. This post contains affiliate links. Ah, those “back to basics” friendship braceleets that we spent summers making as kids! And some of us even took those early bracelet making experiences through the…
Learn how to make your own DIY wire bookmarks using a simple technique and a bunny template! When you’re done, check out how to wrap crystals with wire. This post contains affiliate links. Who doesn’t love a bunny rabbit? This one may not be quite soft and fluffy, but he is definitely ready to cuddle…
Craft your own DIY chain bracelets using a simple wire wrapping technique to make a paperclip chain! Then, try something else from this list of DIY bracelets. This post contains affiliate links. I originally decided to make myself a paperclip chain bracelet WITHOUT necessarily blogging a tutorial, but then on a whim picked up my…