A baby shower is a momentous occasion and this DIY rainbow baby tee baby shower craft shows that! The slight imperfections scream out “handmade”. And handmade is the best way to show someone you care! Disclosure: this post contains commissioned links
The challenge was to make something with a rainbow theme. My mind right away drifted to the term “rainbow baby” which refers to a baby born after a loss. This adorable t-shirt is a perfect gift for a mom celebrating the birth of a rainbow baby.
While that was the original intention of the embellished bodysuit, it does not have to be so. Rainbows look cute on all babies, and I actually made this for my (non-rainbow) boy.
I upcycled the fabrics used for the appliques and I placed it on an old Onesie as a way to cover up stains. If you are gifting it, I highly recommend you use a new bodysuit, for obvious reasons…
The actual active time for making this does not take long, however leave some time so that you can wash and dry your design to set the colors (instructions to follow). Once you’ve made one, try it with another design!
What you need:
- Sharpies in rainbow colors
- A “Onesie” baby bodysuit
- A swatch of denim fabric (from old jeans or overalls)
- A swatch of cotton from an old t-shirt
- Cotton swabs
- Nail polish remover
- An iron and ironing board
- Iron-on hemming tape
- Fabric scissors and detail scissors
How to Make the Rainbow Onesie:
1. On your piece of cotton, create a rainbow using the sharpies. The colors do not need to be connected or smooth.
2. Blend your colors together. Do this by dipping a cotton swab into the nail polish remover, and slowly blending the colors.
Don’t worry if it bleeds and is not neat.
3. Set your design. Wash your cotton in cold water (to rinse out the nail polish remover, which can run in future washes.) Dry on medium heat.
4. Cut out your rainbow using the fabric scissors. Use the detail scissors to make sure the edges are neat, as they will not be finished otherwise.
5. Using your rainbow as a guide, draw some clouds on the back of your denim. Cut them out, again using the detail scissors to clean up the edges.
6. Plan out how you want to arrange the pieces on the onesie.
7. Cut hemming tape to fit all your pieces. It can be too large, as once you iron it, you can just pull the excess off, as it will melt.
8. One at a time, iron on your pieces, sandwiching the hemming tape between the rainbow parts and the onesie. Start with the rainbow and continue on to the clouds.
Make sure you’ve done it properly and it sticks well.
9. Gift or dress your own baby, and enjoy the handmade cuteness!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
More Great Rainbow Posts:
- Learn to build sentences using rainbows.
- Check out this awesome rainbow slime recipe.
- Make a precious mini rainbow pallet.
- Check out this rainbow invitation to play.