If you’re looking to destash, you most one of the first things you probably do is get rid of CDs and DVDs. Here are some of my favorite things to do with CDs and DVDs after you’ve backed them up and stored them digitally.
I chose these projects out of the MANY I found for the way they really take advantage of the characteristics of a CD. Some make great use of the iridescent surface, others of the hole in the middle, and others of the plastic body…. Whatever it is, you’re sure to find something that you’ll wan to try here!
15 Things to make with old CDs:
These bloggers had the best ideas for repurposing CDs in fun and useful ways. Click through to each project to read the full tutorial!
1. Make some pretty doodle discs – it’s an open-ended craft for a huge variety of ages and skill levels.
2. I love these dreamcatchers by Pink Stripey Socks! What a productive and fun way to entertain children!
3. Growing up, I always loved wind chimes. But I never made them myself. This beautiful wind chimes craft by Happy Hooligans is something I would have loved to make back then (I may even try it today. I have yet to outgrow such crafts!)
4. Learn a little science with this CD hovercraft by Hello Wonderful! It gives kids such a good feeling to see something they made actually work.
5. I saw so many animals made from CDs but chose this snail from Toddler Approved to feature, because of the glow the CD gives the snail’s shell. Click on the photo for instructions, and then scour Pinterest for more CD animal ideas!
7. CDs and DVDs are also great for mosaic projects. One of my favorites of all time is this birdbath by Me and My DIY.
8. Turn them into beautiful iridescent guitar picks using a pick punch (affiliate link)! Yup, it works on CDs too, not just credit cards. Isn’t that clever?
9. A lamp made out of CDs? Yes, please! Check out the how-to for this magnificent CD lamp by Photo Creations!
10. Want a cheap, easy, and FUN toy for your toddler? Check out how Best Toys 4 Toddlers makes amazing use of old CDs – I am running to grab mine out now to try it with M so that I can finish up this post…
11. Crafts by Amanda made use of the durable plastic on DVDs by turning them into beautiful stenciled coasters. Read the tutorial to see how she made them stand up to spills too.
12. Check out Crafts ‘n Coffee’s tutorial for these adorable photo clips using old CDs.
13. I absolutely adore the way Our Peaceful Planet used CDs to make curtain pull-backs! This is simply genius and has a beautiful, polished look.
14. I saw many CD clock tutorials when I was searching because of the form of the CD. This one by Morena’s Corner stood out so I decided to share it here.
15. Of course, a Moms & Crafters roundup can’t be complete without a jewelry craft! And this magnificent necklace by Plan B. Anna Evers takes the cake…
Isn’t it just amazing how many great uses there are out there for something we all have in over-abundance? Some of these things to do with CDs and DVDs are really functional too!
What ideas do you have for things to do with CDs?
Liked it? Share it! I’ve made it easy to share! Hover over the first image in this post and click the red button to pin. Or click on any of the buttons on the left of this page to share it however you’d like…