I love to find cool things to make with unique materials, especially those I have handy. If you’re looking to destash, you most one of the first things you probably do is get rid of CDs and DVDs. Here are some of my favorite things to do with CDs and DVDs after you’ve backed them up and stored them digitally. Disclosure: this post contains commissioned links.
This article was originally published here on Moms & Crafters in June 2015 and was updated to make it fresh for you!
I chose these projects out of the MANY I found for the way they really take advantage of the characteristics of a CD. Some make great use of the iridescent surface, others of the hole in the middle, and others of the plastic body…. Whatever it is, you’re sure to find something that you’ll want to try here!
If you don’t have CDs lying around, you can still pick up a pack before it’s too late… Look for colorful ones if you can grab those!
14 Things to make with old CDs:
These bloggers had the best ideas for repurposing CDs in fun and useful ways. Click through to each project to read the full tutorial!
First, check out this cool craft video featuring (and sponsored by) Wikki Stix! This is a fun activity my son and I did together. We then repeated it at a play date (his friend made a beautiful replica of my rainbow) and they spent hours at it!! Get Wikki Stix here!
Got old CDs and DVDs lying around? Decorate them with Wikki Stix (sponsored)!!It was such a fun play date activity for M and his friends and is a cool travel activity for all ages! Which is your favorite? Mine is the rainbow.Wikki Stix are available on Amazon.
Posted by Moms & Crafters on Wednesday, May 30, 2018
1. Make some pretty doodle discs – it’s an open-ended craft for a huge variety of ages and skill levels.
See it in action in the video below:
2. I love these dreamcatchers by Pink Stripey Socks! What a productive and fun way to entertain children!
3. Growing up, I always loved wind chimes. But I never made them myself. This beautiful wind chimes craft by Happy Hooligans is something I would have loved to make back then (I may even try it today. I have yet to outgrow such crafts!)
4. Learn a little science with this CD hovercraft by Hello Wonderful! It gives kids such a good feeling to see something they made actually work.
5. I saw so many animals made from CDs but chose this snail from Toddler Approved to feature, because of the glow the CD gives the snail’s shell. Click on the photo for instructions, and then scour Pinterest for more CD animal ideas!
7. CDs and DVDs are also great for mosaic projects. One of my favorites of all time is this birdbath by Me and My DIY. The original website seems to no longer be active, but you can find something similar here.
8. Turn them into beautiful iridescent guitar picks using a pick punch (affiliate link)! Yup, it works on CDs too, not just credit cards. Isn’t that clever?
9. A lamp made out of CDs? Yes, please! Check out the how-to for this magnificent CD lamp by Photo Creations!
10. Want a cheap, easy, and FUN toy for your toddler? Check out how Best Toys 4 Toddlers makes amazing use of old CDs – I am running to grab mine out now to try it with M so that I can finish up this post…
11. Crafts by Amanda made use of the durable plastic on DVDs by turning them into beautiful stenciled coasters. Read the tutorial to see how she made them stand up to spills too. This is pretty cool and one of my top things to do with CDs
12. I absolutely adore the way Our Peaceful Planet used CDs to make curtain pull-backs! This is simply genius and has a beautiful, polished look.
13. I saw many CD clock tutorials when I was searching because of the form of the CD. This one by Morena’s Corner stood out so I decided to share it here. Making clocks is one of my favorite things to do with CDs so this is spot on!
14. Of course, a Moms & Crafters roundup can’t be complete without a jewelry craft! And this magnificent necklace by Plan B. Anna Evers takes the cake…
Isn’t it just amazing how many great uses there are out there for something we all have in over-abundance? Some of these things to do with CDs and DVDs are really functional too!
What are your favorite things to do with CDs?
Liked it? Share it! I’ve made it easy to share! Hover over the first image in this post and click the red button to pin. Or click on any of the buttons on the left of this page to share it however you’d like…
Get the book! By purchasing Moms & Crafters publications, you are supporting my blog and enabling me to keep on providing you with free craft ideas like this one. Coloring for Coffee Lovers is my most popular coloring book, but you can find all of my printed and digital coloring books here.
Loved these things to do with CDs and DVDs?! Find many many more things to make with stuff you have lying around here: